10 September 2011

First Project

Not much This is a blog primarily for my Intro to Graphic Design class. I'll use it to share progress on assignments, roughs, and the finished assignments. Other than that I may also share work from my typography class and work done on my own time. At the summation of my graphic design class I hope to maintain this blog for future years to track my work and help me stay on point with the art I should be doing (at least for my college career).
So with this in mind I'll share the information I've acquired for the first project I worked on. The project was to create a work of art based on a famous graphic designer (or illustrator). Also part of the assignment was to include a powerpoint and paper talking about the artist.
I chose the graphic designer Chip Kidd. He's a graphic designer and writer. He has mostly designed book covers such as the Jurassic Park book cover.

From here my obvious choice was to design a book cover as well. I used a high contrast self-portrait shown only partially with the title of the book and the authors name in the black portion when the face is covered. This was modeled after a cover Kidd designed for one of his own books. He did a self-portrait in high contrast with only the top half of the face showing and the rest being reserved for pertinent cover text.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent post, but show some examples of Kidd's work alongside your interpretive work too.

    ReplyDelete